PRP stands for Platelet Rich Plasma. This state-of-the-art treatment modality for joint and tendon pain consists of using your body’s own healing mechanism to stimulate the natural repair of damaged joints. Platelets are found in your bone marrow and are responsible for clotting and healing. They circulate within your bloodstream all the time waiting for signals from your body to send them into action to repair damaged tissues. New research has shown that by collecting, concentrating and re-injecting platelets into damaged tissues, we can stimulate the body’s natural healing process and relieve pain.
PRP is prepared by drawing a small volume of blood from the patient and concentrating the platelets in the plasma. This is done with the use of a centrifuge and takes approximately 10 minutes to complete. The PRP can then be precisely injected into the joint or tissue with visualization from an ultrasound machine.
Our physician will work with you to determine if PRP injections are an appropriate treatment for your injury. At this point the evidence is the most robust for treating those with:
- Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
- Patellar tendinopathy (tendonitis of the knee)
- Mild-moderate knee osteoarthritis
While PRP is not currently FDA-approved for tendon and joint repair, there is a growing body of evidence pointing to the likely effectiveness of this treatment. It is currently being used off-label across the country for treatment of joint pain. There is a lot of new research demonstrating the benefits of PRP injections compared to other treatment options for certain conditions.
- Tennis Elbow: Platelet-rich plasma versus autologous blood versus steroid injection in lateral epicondylitis: systematic review and network meta-analysis.
- Tendonitis of the Knee: Platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of patellar tendinopathy: clinical and imaging findings at medium-term follow-up.
- Knee Osteoarthritis: Efficacy of Intra-articular Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections in Knee Osteoarthritis: A Systematic Review.
- Knee Tendonitis: Are Multiple Platelet-Rich Plasma Injections Useful for Treatment of Chronic Patellar Tendinopathy in Athletes?: A Prospective Study
- General Information: Platelet Rich Plasma.
Collecting the Platelet Rich Plasma
Complete Sports Medicine
6746 Charlotte Pike | Nashville, TN 37209
Not all orthopedic injuries require surgery, and with a cutting-edge sports medicine program, our Nashville sports medicine physician offers non-operative treatment for injuries such as joint pain, fracture management and sprains/strains.
From professionals to weekend warriors – we treat athletes of all ages & skills.
- PRP Injections
- Ultrasound-guided joint injections
- Fracture management with casting/splinting
- Trigger point injections
- Concussion care
- Exercise prescriptions
Bringing Innovative sports medicine to Nashville
Formerly known as Physicians Urgent Care West Nashville, Dr. Babcock, Dr. Hadley & Dr. Mickiewicz continue to offer the same exceptional urgent care you have come to know and are proud to also introduce primary care and sports medicine to their patients.
Complete Health Partners is thrilled to introduce Dr. Kevin Blythe, double board certified in sports medicine and emergency medicine, as the director of our sports medicine program.
What We Treat
Dr. Blythe brings cutting-edge new treatment options for pain and injuries associated with sports and repetitive motion. From high school athletes with new acute injuries to life-long knee and back pain, the teat at Complete Sports Medicine is committed to helping patients heal and return to the activities they love.
Most Major Medical Insurance Accepted
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS)
- Bright – COMING SOON!
- Cigna & CignaConnect
- Health Choice
- United Healthcare (except Community Plan)
- At this time we are currently NOT in network with TennCare
Conveniently located on Charlotte Pike right off I40, our West Nashville medical clinic offers plenty of parking and is an easy drive from several of Nashville’s busiest shopping centers, offices and neighborhoods. We proudly serve patients from all of Nashville – from Downtown to Green Hills to Bellevue, from White Bridge Road to Harding Pike and West End – we even see patients from Ashland City, Fairview and Kingston Springs. Minutes from Tennessee State University, Vanderbilt University, Belmont University, Fisk University, and Lipscomb University, students and parents can feel at ease knowing the care they receive at Complete Health Partners is the best in town. Our West Nashville clinic is nestled in a scenic nook near Costco and shares real estate with the historic Robertson Log Cabin! We are close to Target, Dick’s Sporting Goods and Red Robin.